Awards and Honors
Student and Post Doc Awards:
- Ashley Leach recently named this years recipient of the Gyrisco Student Award. This award is given to students who have been outstanding in research and who are excellent Department citizens.
- Jeffrey Scott recently received the Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring, Nominated by Undergraduates in the CollegeJeffrey Scott, Entomology
- Dr. Katja Poveda recently accepted the CALS Young Faculty Teaching Excellence Award at the Deans Award Dinner.
- Erin Krichilsky recently won Best Poster in Behavioral and Ecological Biology at the Cornell Undergraduate Research Board Spring Forum.
- Katherine Ruth Urban-Mead was recently awarded the 2017 Bollar Research Award.
- Kristen Brochu was recently awarded second place in the 2016 Entomological Society of America’s Student Competition for Oral Competition: Ecology and Population Dynamics.
- Heather Grab was awarded first place in the 2016 Entomological Society of America’s Student Competition for Oral Competition: Apidology, Sericulture, and Social Insects as well as the John Henry Comstock Graduate Student Award for Eastern Branch.
- Ashley Leach was recently awarded the 2016 Michael Villani Graduate Student Fellowship for the second year in a row. She also won first place in the 2016 Entomological Society of America’s Student Competition for Oral Competition: Integrated Pest Management and Sustainable Agriculture and received the Larry Larson Graduate student Award for Leadership in Applied Entomology. Ashley was also recently awarded first place in the student poster competition for her poster titled “Integrating nitrogen rate, onion cultivar, and insecticide program to optimize onion thrips management in onion”, by Ashley Leach, Steve Reiners, and Brian Nault. Her poster was presented at the National Allium Research Conference that was held in Savannah, GA from Nov. 30 through Dec. 3.
- Ricardo Perez-Alvarez was recently awarded second place in the 2016 Entomological Society of America’s Student Competition for Oral Competition: Biological Control and Insect Pathology
- Leticia Smith was awarded second place in the 2016 Entomological Society of America’s Student Competition for Oral Competition: Medical and Veterinary Entomology.
- Leticia Smith was awarded the Daniel M Jobbins Scholarship from the New Jersey Mosquito Control Association for outstanding research on Pyrethroid resistance in Aedes aegypti.
- Michael Wolfin was awarded the Paul J. Chapman Graduate Student Fellowship for 2016-2017. The award is based on three broad criteria: 1) scientific quality of research, 2) publications and presentations, and 3) involvement in professional activities.best
- Greg Loeb recently received the Award for Excellence in Integrated Pest Management at ESA
- Linda Rayor was a finalist at ESA for the YouTube Your Entomology Stinger Awards for her video titled “Pollination: Trading Food for Fertilization in 3 Minutes”, created with Carol Jennings