I am an applied insect ecologist who works on developing knowledge that can be used for insect pest management programs. My efforts involve both domestic and international programs. I work with public and private sectors and increasingly work more closely with regulatory agencies and public policy issues in agriculture.
Responsible for developing sound insect pest management strategies for vegetables with spin-offs for other crops. Components of program stress insect population ecology, biological control, plant resistance, agricultural biotechnology, insecticide resistance, insect movement, trap cropping, and plant productivity and marketability as a function of insect infestations. In the last 15 years, a considerable amount of our effort has been devoted to risk assessment of insect management strategies, especially insect-resistant genetically engineered crops. Our program has a strong commitment to outreach education for the agricultural community and the general public.
Outreach and Extension Focus
I develop more efficient and safer insect management practices and work with growers and extension educators to help them implement these systems. Since 2015, I have been the Director of a USAID-funded project for insect-resistant eggplant in Bangladesh and the Philippines and I spend the majority of my time on this project (Bteggplant.cornell.edu). In 2014 we had 20 framers in Bangladesh grow Bt eggplant, and in 2017 we estimate that nearly 30,000 farmers planted Bt eggplant. The use of Bt eggplant has reduced the number of insecticide sprays by >90%, increased farmer income, and helped reduce environmental pollution.
My main teaching is the class ENT 7670 and ENT 2410. I also participate in INTAG 402 and 602. Additionally, I provide guest lectures on agricultural biotechnology in several classes annually, CSS 410 (The GMO debate) and in PL BR 482 (Plant Biotechnology) and AEM 6600. I also help teach PL PA 419.
Awards and Honors
- IPM Team Award (2013) Entomological Society of America
- L. O. Howard Award (2011) Eastern Branch Entomological Society of America
- Outstanding New Extension Publication (2011) NYS Assoc. of Ag Agents
- Plenary Speaker (2011) Entomological Society of Canada
- Adelman, Z., Akbari, O., Bauer, J., Bier, E., Bloss, C., Carter, S. R., Callender, C., Denis, A. C., Cowhey, P., Dass, B., Delborne, J., Devereaux, M., Ellsworth, P., Friedman, R. M., Gantz, V., Gibson, C., Hay, B. A., Hoddle, M., James, A. A., James, S., Jorgenson, L., Kalichman, M., Marshall, J., McGinnis, W., Newman, J., Pearson, A., Quemada, H., Rudenko, L., Shelton, A. M., Vinetz, J. M., Weisman, J., Wong, B., & Wozniak, C. (2017). Rules of the road for insect gene drive research and testing. Nature Biotechnology. 35:716-718.
- Navasero, M. V., Candano, R. N., Hautea, D., Hautea, R. A., Shotkoski, F. A., & Shelton, A. M. (2016). Assessing potential impact of Bt eggplatns on non-target arthropods in the Philippines. PLoS One. 11:1-17.
- Han, F., Shelton, A. M., & Zhou, D. (2016). How China can enhance adoption of biotech crops. Nature Biotechnology. 34:1.
- Olmstead, D., & Shelton, A. M. (2016). Effects of timing and insecticide on management of Helicoverpa zea in sweet corn. Florida Entomologist. 99:161-165.
- Hautea, D., Taylo, L. D., Masanga, A. P., Sison, M. L., Narciso, J. O., Quilloy, R. B., Hautea, R. A., Shotkoski, F. A., & Shelton, A. M. (2016). Field Performance of Bt Eggplants (Solanum melongena L.) in the Philippines: Cry1Ac Expression and Control of the Eggplant Fruit and Shoot Borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guenée). PLoS One. 11:1-22.
- Liu, X. X., Abro, G. H., Han, F., Tian, J., Chen, M., Onstad, D., Roush, R., Zhang, Q., & Shelton, A. M. (2015). Effect of Bt broccoli and resistant genotype of Plutella xylostella on life history and prey acceptance of the predator, Coleomegilla maculata. Biological Control. 91:55-61.
- Seto, M. M., & Shelton, A. M. (2015). Development and evaluation of degree-day models for Acrolepiosis assectella based on hosts and flight patterns. Journal of Economic Entomology. 1-9.
- Kain, W., Song, X., Janmaat, A., Zhao, J., Myers, J., Shelton, A. M., & Wang, P. (2015). Resistance of Trichoplusia ni populations selected by Bacillus thuringiensis sprays to pyramided Bt cotton plants expressing Cry1Ac and Cry2Ab. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 81:1884-1890.
- Seaman, A. J., Lange, H. W., & Shelton, A. M. (2015). Squash bug and striped cucumber beetles control with insecticides allowed for organic production, 2014. Arthropod Management Tests. 40.
- Seaman, A. J., Lange, H. W., & Shelton, A. M. (2015). Swede midge, diamondback, moth and imported cabbageworm control with insecticides allowed for organic production, 2014. Arthropod Management Tests. 40.
Presentations and Activities
- Combinations of Toxins in Sprays and Plants: Insights on the Benefits and Problems. Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting. November 2011. ESA. Reno.